W3 Total Cache
It provides up to a ten-fold improvement in overall performance of WordPress sites and is designed to work with any web hosting service.
W3 Total Cache is presently ranked 4.5/5 with 3,900 reviews and over a million downloads.
- Progressive Rendering: Pages start rendering quickly and can provide interaction sooner.
- Bandwidth Reduction: Up to 80% reduction in bandwidth usage through minify and compression,
- Mobile Applications: Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) support.
- Extended Site Caching: Caching of feeds and search result pages.
- Local Caching: Built-in browser caching controls.
Pros: Provides a quick means of improving search rank through increased page speed.
Cons: Converts dynamic pages to static pages with possible update delays and site conflicts.
As the plugin name implies, Rankie tracks WordPress site rankings on Google and updates positions daily. It also has a research tool that utilizes Google search metrics to provide lists of related search terms.
Any new Google search terms that lead to a site visit can be automatically added to the plugin dashboard. Rankie is a premium-only plugin and has been purchased 2,352 times, with a rating of 4.55/5 from 139 reviews.
Example of the Rankie dashboard tracking keywords.
- Keyword Tracking: Keyword rankings on Google updated daily.
- Ranking Reports: Monthly, yearly, or all time reports showing keyword ranking trends.
- Keyword Research: Research tool returns Google’s suggested searches by submitting variations on a keyword.
Pros: Convenient visibility into Google SEO performance from the WordPress dashboard.
Cons: Plugin is not open source and must be purchased, with pricing starting at $21.
WP Meta SEO
This plugin is really a bundle of WordPress tools to save time on SEO and bulk editing tasks. With over 20,000 installations and a 4.5/5 rating from 48 reviews, WP Meta SEO can probably replace a host of plugins.
The core functionality of this plugin centers on the bulk edit of website metadata in a single view. Changes are accompanied by live SEO analysis for real-time feedback on the impact of changes. The paid version adds Google integration and several automated monitoring tools for website errors.
- Bulk Editing: Make site-wide changes to metadata including posts, pages, custom post types, image information and size, and SEO links.
- Broken Link Checker: 404 error redirect and broken link auditing.
- Sitemap Generator: Create and update XML and HTML sitemaps.
- Breadcrumb Generator: Create and control the display of rich snippet breadcrumbs.
Pros: WP Meta SEO can save a significant amount of time making site-wide changes to enhance SEO.
Cons: Paid version is required for integration with Google functions and metrics, with pricing starting at $39.
Remove Query Strings from Static Resources
Designed to help improve speed scores, Remove Query Strings from Static Resources will remove links containing a “?” or “&” inside the HTML element. Examples of resources that will be optimized include CSS and JS files. The plugin page on WordPress.org provides reference tests from Pingdom and GTMetrix using the latest version of WordPress. Time to First Byte or TTFB is one area to focus on improving.
It has 100,000+ installations and is rated 4.5/5 with 77 reviews.
Looking to Improve your website speed scores on Pingdom, GTmetrix, PageSpeed, or YSlow?
- Query String Removal: Items containing a “?” or “&” are removed from static resources, and the parameters are encoded into the URL.
Pros: Website performance improves as resources are downloaded from a nearby proxy server rather than from a remote origin server.
Cons: Plugin only removes query strings from resources located inside the HTML element.
SEO Optimized Images
SEO Optimized Images allows for the insertion of SEO-friendly alt and title attributes into images. Once a pattern is provided, the plugin dynamically updates the alt and title tags without making changes to the database. Options for this data include image name, post title and post category.
Pricing for the premium version of SEO Optimized Images starts at $59 and adds functions such as support for featured images and support for custom rules to selectively add tags to images.
The plugin has 10,000+ downloads and is rated 4/5 with 21 reviews. Most positive reviews indicate a “light and effective” tool working as designed.
- Bulk Image SEO: Dynamically add SEO-friendly tags to images based on a pattern.
- No Database Changes: If the plugin is deactivated, all image attributes return to their original state.
Pros: A quick way to increase the SEO value of site images. The plugin has a light footprint and does not alter the WordPress database.
Cons: Premium version must be purchased for more comprehensive coverage of images and custom rules for applying image attribute tags.
SEO Internal Links
As the name indicates, SEO Internal Links provides automatic SEO benefits by linking keywords and phrases in posts and comments with corresponding posts, pages, categories, and tags within the site. It only links the first instance of a keyword or phrase in a post to avoid the appearance of black SEO and a negative user experience. When blogging, linking is important for UX.
The plugin is rated 3.5/5 with 7 reviews and has 5,000+ installations.
- Site Keyword Lists: Enter desired keywords in the administration panel, and internal links are automatically generated.
- Nofollow Attribute: Options to set nofollow attribute and to open links in a new tab.
Pros: SEO Internal Links provides a quick means to capitalize on internal site SEO.
Cons: Plugin has only 7 reviews, and ratings are not stellar. Development also appears to be inactive.
All In One Schema.org Rich Snippets
Designed to make WordPress pages stand out in search results, All In One Schema.org Rich Snippets capitalizes on all the available display options that Google, Yahoo, and Bing allow. Rich Snippets increase click-through rates by incorporating such elements as photos, star ratings, price and author into search listings.
The plugin page on WordPress.org indicates recent updates and the total installations currently stand at over 70,000. The plugin is rated 4.5/5 with 126 reviews.
- Supports Most Content Types: Plugin supports almost all content types released by Schema.org, with additional types scheduled for future release.
- Facebook Support: Shared links on Facebook display proper site information with correct formatting.
Pros: Increases CTR and search ranking by capitalizing on all available search engine options for displaying a listing.
Cons: Reviewers note lack of support for custom post types and bulk generation of rich snippet data.